Solar power is the generation of electricity from sunlight. The sun’s rays are our planet’s most plentiful source of energy. In fact, the earth receives more energy from the sun in one hour than our planet uses in an entire year.
How it works
All light contains energy. When light strikes an object that energy is usually converted into heat. That’s why we feel warm when we sit in the sun. When the sun’s rays hit a semiconductor material, however, they release electrons which are captured, funneled into a stream or electric current and put to use powering your home.
Solar power offers many benefits over traditional forms of electric generation:
- Solar power is non-polluting — unlike oil or coal, solar power does not emit greenhouse gases
- Solar Power is a renewable resource — unlike some fossil fuels, there is no foreseeable shortage of supply
- Solar power is silent — the methods used to find and extract oil can be extremely loud (Even wind power can create a great deal of noise)
- Solar cells require little maintenance — there are no moving parts that must be maintained.
- Solar cells are long lasting — effectively generating power for 20-30 years before they need to be replaced.
Panda Power Funds supports environmentally-clean power generation. In 2010, we partnered together with New York ConEdison Development to build one of the largest photovoltaic solar farms in the Northeast United States. The 20-megawatt Pilesgrove Solar Farm has more than 77,000 solar panels on 110 acres and is actively serving New Jersey electricity customers.