Panda Power Funds — Investing in a Brighter Future™
Panda Power Funds is a private equity firm that develops, owns, operates and manages investments in clean energy. Panda has five combined-cycle power plants in operation in Texas and Pennsylvania, and two combined-cycle power plants currently under construction in Pennsylvania and Virginia with a combined capacity of more than 5,800 megawatts. Panda Power Funds also has a 990 megawatt power project in Maryland in advanced development. The fund built a 20 megawatt solar farm in southwest New Jersey that is one of the largest solar facilities in the Northeast United States.
Panda Power Funds was formed in 2010 in response to the substantial opportunities it’s management team saw emerging in the U.S. power sector. According to the Energy Information Administration, the United States will need 338,000 megawatts of new generating capacity – representing $677 billion of investment – by 2035.
This very large need for new generation is currently being driven by:
- Coal plant retirements — 30,000 megawatts have announced plans to retire by 2016 and 68,000 megawatts are expected to be retired by 2018 as a result of low-cost natural gas and stringent new EPA regulations; (Brattle Group report "Potential Coal Plant Retirements: 2012 Update")
- Enormous natural gas reserves — a growing 100-year reserve of domestically-produced natural gas led by vast shale gas discoveries;
- An aging generating fleet — a large number of U.S power plants, currently between 30-40 years of age, are nearing the end of their useful lives;
- Growing renewable generation — renewable generation, such as wind power, is intermittent and requires back-up generation that can be quickly dispatched to compensate for lost power; and
- Regulatory uncertainty — A substantial number of strict federal and state environmental regulations, such as "once-through" cooling prohibitions, could impact nuclear, coal and older natural gas-fueled generating facilities.
- Learn more
Our Competitive Advantages
Panda Power Funds is composed of an experienced team of professionals whose expertise covers the entire value chain of the U.S. power industry. With more than 500 years of combined experience, the firm can create, develop, acquire, finance, construct, operate and monetize large-scale power generation projects.
Panda enjoys an extensive network of long-term industry relationships and a collective history of more than 20 years of successfully developing power generation projects. This standing often provides the firm with a preferred position among communities, financial institutions, power purchasers, gas suppliers, equipment vendors, engineering and construction firms, and other groups who are necessary to successfully developing, owning and operating power generation projects.
Panda Power Funds also possesses strong internal sourcing capabilities, creating proprietary deal flow.
View Panda Power Funds' current investments.
Panda Power Funds is an opportunistic private equity energy fund. We focus our investment and activities on opportunities where we can create additional value through development, expansion, restructuring or operations.
Mark Kadon, the general manager for the Panda Sherman Energy Center, recently worked with The Texas Workforce Commission and Grayson College to obtain $64,114 in TWC grant money to train 24 employees at the 758 megawatt Sherman power plant. Kadon was present at a ceremony at Grayson College, to accept the TWC grant, along with Texas Workforce Commissioner Hope Andrade and Grayson College President Dr. Jeremy McMillen. The grant is a part of the TWC’s Skills Development Fund, which provides funding to community colleges for training the local workforce.Learn more